Pen drives (also known as USB drives) are now cheap and affordable. A small USB stick that costs less than 500 rupees can now hold 16GB of data (which is quite a lot of space for photos, songs and other files – you would only need a higher capacity pen drive if you want to carry large video files).
So if you have Rs 500 and want to buy a 16GB pen drive, here are some of the important features it must have:
- The pen drive must have USB 3.0 support. This allows faster file transfer between your computer (or mobile phone) and pen drive. Even if the USB port on your computer does not support USB 3, it’s better to buy a USB 3.0 pen drive, because it’ll be future-proof.
- The brands that we recommend are SanDisk, Transcend, Sony and Kingston. When it comes to warranty and replacement, we haven’t had any issues with SanDisk and Sony.
- We also like it when the pendrive has keychain / lanyard support – it’s easier to carry around, all you have to do is attach it to the key chain of your car or bike.
Below are the Best 16GB Pen Drives that we have tested and recommend. We have also included links (below the product image) to buy the original product from reliable shopping sites like Flipkart, Amazon and Snapdeal.
1. SanDisk Ultra 16 GB Flash Drive (USB 3.0) – Rs 600
- Plastic build, but looks sturdy.
- With USB 3.0 support, the transfer speed is quite fast (Read Speed : 90-95 Mbps, Write speed: 40-45 Mbps)
- Slider mechanism
- LED indicator when plugged to the laptop / computer
- Pen drive comes with recovery software and password protected locker (this means that you can set a password using the software which ensures the safety and security of the files in the pen drive)
- Light weight
- Actual capacity is 14.7 GB
- Compatible with MAC, Linux and Windows
- At Rs 500, it’s value for money pen drive.
- Can be attached to a keychain or a lanyard
- Doesn’t heat up
- 5 years warranty
- Slider mechanism is a bit sensitive, no big deal though.
2. SanDisk Ultra Dual Pen Drive (USB 3.0) – Rs 500
- Sleek and small
- Dual USB functionality with slider mechanism
- The USB drive comes with USB 3.0 support and USB 2.0 for Micro USB.
- Compatible with MAC, Windows and Linux. MicroUSB is compatible with almost all Android phones which support OTG (on the go).
- The read/write speed is slightly slower than Sandisk Ultra, however for the price, it does a decent job.
- Light weight
- Value for money pen drive
- 5 years warranty
- Heats up a lot on extended usage (not a problem for most people unless you continously use your pen drive)
- No led indicator
- The slider button is a little delicate.
- Doesn’t come with any loop to attach it to a keychain or lanyard, so the chances of losing is very high.
- Doesn’t come with password locker software for file security.
3. Sony Micro Vault 16 GB USB Drive (USB 2.0) – Rs 400
- Slider mechanism works well
- Small and light weight
- Good read and write speed
- One of the best USB 2.0 pen drives under Rs 400
- Compatible with Mac OS X, Windows and Linux
- Comes with LED indicator
- Doesn’t heat up after extended periods of usage.
- Can attach lanyard
- Supports OTG (can transfer files from the phone to USB via OTG cable)
- Value for money product
- Average build quality, the plastic build makes it look and feel cheap.
- Doesn’t come with any Password locker software for the security of the files.