Quite a few good smartphones are now available for an affordable price of 5000 – 6000 rupees. But what about tablets? Since tablets have larger displays and higher capacity batteries, the cost of manufacturing a similarly spec’ed tablet is more than a smartphone.
Fortunately, a few Android tablets priced under 5000 rupees are now available that perform reasonably well. Do note that you should only be picking one of these tablets if you are on a tight budget. If you can increase your budget, then there are hundreds of better options in the market.
Limitations of buying a Tablet under Rs 5000
- The Android tablets that we have listed below, can only perform basic tasks like web browsing, video / music playback and run basic applications that are available in the Play Store.
- Some tablets do not come equipped with a camera and even if they do, don’t expect the picture quality to be great. You can’t expect a lot out of tablets costing less than 5000 rupees.
- Most of the below tablets do not come with sim-card slots. What that also means is, you cannot make voice calls and data usage will only be through your local wifi network or wireless tethering from your mobile phone.
1.Swipe W74 Eco 3G 8GB – Rs 3000
- 7 inch display looks decent for the price, touch works well.
- Looks wise the tablet looks good, feels premium while holding. It comes in 3 colours: silver, white and black.
- Supports sim, can make video call and voice call. works very well.
- Comes with wifi connectivity, can be connected easily.
- Performance of the tablet is smooth with 1GB RAM, sufficient for day to day usage. Can also play some low end to mid end games. Doesn’t heat up.
- Runs on Android 5.1 lollipop.
- 8GB storage with expandable storage upto 32GB
- Good battery backup , can last for more than 6 hours.
- Speaker is loud enough
- Supports USB on to go that helps you to transfer files and vice versa.
- Below average camera quality
- The display quality could have been better.
2. Lenovo Tab 3 7 Essential 8GB -Rs 4800
- Classy and stylish design, the tab fits perfectly in one hand. Comes in colours black and ebony black.
- The display is good for the price, you cannot expect much for the price.
- Performance and functionality is good with 1GB RAM, the apps loads fast and doesn’t hang while using the tab.
- Comes in 2 variants, one which supports 3G and one which does not. This tab does not support any Sim card.
- Games can be played without any issue.
- 8GB internal storage with expandable storage upto 64GB.
- Speakers are decent
- Supports USB on to go
- Runs on Android 5.1 lollipop, can be upgraded to Marshmallow 6.0 version.
- Battery backup is good.
- The display quality is below average.
- Camera doesn’t take good pictures.
3.Micromax Canvas Tab P290 8GB – Rs 3500
- The 7 inch display offers good clarity and colour, worth the price.
- The tab feels slim and light, feels good to hold.
- 8GB internal storage with 32GB expandable storage
- The performance of the tablet with 1 GB RAM is mostly smooth and lagfree. Can handle high end games without any heating issue
- It is value for money tablet
- Decent front and back camera with video recording. Pictures taken are not that good but you cannot expect much from a Rs 5000 device.
- Good for watching movies, Listening to music and reading books
- Runs on Android Lollipop 5.1
- Speaker output is good
- Supports USB on to go to transfer files.
- Battery backup is average.
- Doesn’t support sim card, hence you won’t be able to make any calls.
4.iBall Slide DD 8GB -Rs 4500
- The tab fits perfectly in one hand, can be used as a phablet (Phone plus tablet).
- Looks very attractive
- Good for internet browsing, basic apps and music.
- Good for office use
- Comes with dual sim, both support 3G
- 8GB internal storage and Expandable storage upto 32GB
- Supports USB on to go to transfer files
- Decent Front and back camera
- Good performance with 1GB RAM even mid end games can be played well
- Runs on Android 4.4 Kitkat
- Great Value for Money
- Light weight
- Sound quality from the loud speakers isn’t great.
- Average display, the viewing angles aren’t great
- Heating issue
- Battery doesn’t last for more than 10 hours.
5. Ambrane A3-7 Plus 4GB – Rs 2800
- The tab looks good and comes in colours black and white.
- 4GB in-built storage and expandable storage upto 32GB.
- Light weight
- Comfortable to hold in one hand
- Great for reading books, watching movies and listening to music
- Doesn’t attract finger prints
- Lag free performance with 1 GB RAM and able to play mid end games
- Runs on Android Jelly 4.0
- Good battery backup
- Still runs on Android Jelly
- The display clarity is not good.
|Swipe W74 Eco||Lenovo Tab3 7 Essential||CANVAS TAB P290||IBALL SLIDE DD||AMBRANE A3-7 PLUS|
|Display Size||7 inch||7 inch||7 inch||7 inch||7 inch|
|Display Resolution||600 x 1024||600 x 1024||600 x 1024||600 x 1024||480 x 800|
|Panel||HD IPS||WXGA IPS||IPS LCD||IPS LCD||IPS LCD|
|Dimensions||189 x 10 x 10.8 cm||190 x 10 x 113 mm||189 x 111 x 9.5 mm||189.06 x 107.83 x 9.70 mm||192.6 x 109 x 10 mm|
|Weight||272 grams||299 grams||260 grams||_||289 grams|
|OS||Android Kitkat 4.4.2||Android 5 Lollipop||Android 5 Lollipop||Android 4.4 Kitkat||Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean|
|CPU||1.3 GHz Dual Core||1.3GHz Quad Core||1.3GHz Quad Core||1.3 GHz Dual Core||1.2 GHz Dual Core|
|GPU||MediaTek Quad Core||MediaTek Quad Core||_||_||MediaTek MT6572|
|RAM||1 GB||1 GB||1 GB||1 GB||512 MB|
|Storage||8 GB||8 GB||8 GB||8 GB||4 GB|
|MicroSD card||upto 32GB||up to 64 GB||Up to 32 GB||Up to 32 GB||Up to 32 GB|
|Back Camera||2 MP||2 MP||2 MP||2 MP||2 MP|
|Front Camera||0.3 MP||0.3 MP||0.3 MP||0.3 MP||0.3 MP|
|Battery||3000mAH||3450mAH||2820 mAh||2500 mAh||3000 mAh|
Have any questions regarding tablets under 5000 rupees? Post them in the comments section below!