As you increase your budget to somewhere around Rs 16000 – 20000, there are tons of different phones available in this price range. Unfortunately, a lot of them have similar specifications and features, which makes your buying decision difficult. Upcoming Chinese brands like Xiaomi and Huawei have packed their phones with powerful processors and excellent cameras, which is great value for money. However, a lot of people are brand conscious and prefer to pick phones from popular and established brands like Samsung, Sony, LG or even Motorola.
So the decision is pretty simple. If you’re not brand conscious and want value for the money that you spend, you should go with Chinese brands. Else, if after-sale support (i.e nearby service centres, repairs, warranty etc) and brand is extremely important to you, then you should pick a phone like the Moto X Play.
Below is our list of best mobile phones under 20000 rupees.
1. Lenovo Z2 Plus 64GB (Dual Sim) – Rs 17500
- The screen size is smaller compared to others.
- The back of the phone attracts finger prints and is a bit slippery to hold. However the phone comes with the cover.
- Does heat up after intensive gaming.
- Doesn’t come with Micro SD card.
- The phone doesn’t support optical image stabilisation.
- No Corning gorilla glass protection.
- Only available on Amazon.
- Although it supports quick charging technology, the phone doesn’t come with the quick charger . you will have to buy separately.
2. Moto M 64GB (Dual Sim)- Rs 18000
- Moto M is made up of metal build which looks very stylish and feels much more premium that other handsets priced at this range.
- Vibrant 5.5 inch Full HD screen with Corning Gorilla glass protection, the display is sharp and clear.
- The fingerprint sensor is quick and responsive that is placed at the back
- Comes with Helio P15 chipset with 4 GB RAM, performance wise its fast and lag free. Even mid end to high end games can be played without any issues.
- The phone runs on Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 version.
- The speakers are loud and clear
- Good battery backup with 3050 mAh battery.
- 64GB internal storage with 128GB expandable storage
- Pictures taken in artificial lighting are average
- Dual stand by sim (one nano sim slot and other one can be used for nano sim or micro SD card)
3. Samsung Galaxy On Nxt 32GB (Dual Sim) – Rs 17000
- Huge 5.5 inch display that fits perfectly in one hand. But the downside is that it is not a AMOLED screen and hence it affects the quality of the display.
- Samsung has finally moved on to metal body for their mid range phone, The phone comes in a fully metal unibody design that feels premium while holding. It looks very stylish and sleek. The curved edges in the front looks really good although the phone does look similar to Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime.
- The phone does come with finger print sensor that is placed at the front and it is very quick and responsive.
- It is powered by Exynos 7870 chipset with 3GB RAM and on graphics department we have ARM Mali T830 GPU. Both ways it performs well, absolutely smooth performance without any lag and more over there is no heating issue.
- The 3300 mAh battery can easily last for a day with normal usage, and it also comes with features like power saving that can save battery.
- On software front we have Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with Touchwiz User interface, easy to operate.
- It is a proper dual sim device which is great as most of them come with Hybrid technology.
- 32GB internal storage with expandable storage upto 256GB.
- Supports USB on to go and FM radio.
- Doesn’t come with gyroscope sensor which is a disappointment
- The display is not an AMOLED display so it doesn’t have the sharp colours and saturation that all the Samsung phones have got.
- Doesn’t come auto brightness
- The speakers are average
- The pictures taken from the camera are average, Samsung could have improves its camera
- For RS 19000, the phone is bit expensive.
4. Lenovo Vibe X3 32GB (Dual Sim) – Rs 20000
- Quality of display is good and clearly visible under direct sunlight
- Good built quality (Metallic). Looks and feels premium
- The camera is very good too, front facing best amongst Android devices that we have tested
- The dual front speakers with amplifiers are crisp and clear. Lenovo has really improved on the speakers and it’s a delight to the ears.
- Good battery life (3500 mAh) and supports fast charging technology, however the phone doesn’t come with the quick charger
- Phone charges fast – 10% to 100% in 2 hours
- Fast and responsive finger print sensor.
- Lag free User Interface (Vibe UI)
- Features like quick snap to open the camera app and Flip to lock the phone works very well
- Phone powered by Snapdragon 808 hexa-core 1.8GHz processor with 3GB RAM doesn’t slow down while multi-tasking
- No heating issue after heavy usage and intensive gaming ( Max 40 degree Celsius)
- Good for gaming: Games like Mortal Kombat, Dead trigger 2 can be played without any lag.
- 32 GB Internal memory with 128 Expandable storage
- Both sim Support 4G
- Comes with corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Supports IR blaster and USB OTG
- At Rs 19999, This phone is worth every penny.
- At 175 grams, the phone is slightly on the heavier side for a 5.5 inch device
- Android Lollipop 5.1 out of the box
- Hybrid Dual sim Standby this means you have to either use a micro sim or micro SD card in the slot, you cannot use both at the same time
- No fast charger provided with the phone, you need to purchase one.
- No back lit for capacitive keys
- It’s a non removable battery
- The pictures taken in artificial lighting is average
- Only available in Amazon
5. Moto X Play 32GB (Single Sim) – Rs 18500
- Motorola has still maintained the same rubber build, the phone looks and feels good to hold.
- The 5.5 inch large display appears to be slightly half white, which makes the screen look a little dull. Nevertheless the display quality is good.
- Comes with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Comes with Water Repellent coating which helps you save your phone from those accidental rain drops.
- The snapdragon 615 processor with 2GB RAM is fast and efficient enough for a smooth performance
- Comes with Android Marshmallow 6.0
- The speakers are placed in the front which produces decent music
- 21MP rear camera takes good daylight pictures
- The battery lasts for about a day with medium to heavy usage (3680 mAh)
- 32GB internal storage with expandable memory upto 128 GB
- Mid end games and some high end games like Mortal Kombat and N.O.V.A 3 can be played without any lag and heating issue
- Supports fast charging, you can charge your phone from 0 – 100% in less than an 2 hours.
- Quick charger adapter not included in the box
- Takes average pictures in artificial lighting
- No physical LED notification light
- Doesn’t come with fingerprint scanner
|Lenovo Z2 Plus||Moto M||Samsung Galaxy On Nxt||VIBE X3||Moto X Play|
|Display Size||5 inch||5.5 inch||5.5 inch||5.5 inch||5.5 inch|
|Display Resolution||1080 x 1920||1080 x 1920||1080 x 1920||1080 x 1920||1080 x 1920|
|Panel||Super AMOLED||IPS LCD||HD||IPS||IPS LCD|
|Protection||_||_||2.5D Gorilla Glass||Gorilla Glass 3||Gorilla Glass 3|
|Dimensions||141.6 x 68.8 x 8.4 mm||151.4 x 75.4 x 7.9 mm||151.7 x 75.0 x 8.0 mm||154 x 76.5 x 9.3 mm||148 x 75 x 10.9 mm|
|Weight||149 grams||163 grams||167 grams||175 grams||169 grams|
|OS||Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow||Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow||Android Marshmallow 6||Android 5.1 Lollipop||Android 5.1.1 Lollipop|
|CPU||Snapdragon 820||Mediatek Helio P15||Exynos 7870||Snapdragon 808||Snapdragon 615|
|GPU||Adreno 530||Mali-T860MP2||ARM Mali T830 MP1||Adreno 418||Adreno 405|
|RAM||4 GB||4 GB||3 GB||3 GB||2 GB|
|Storage||64 GB||64 GB||32 GB||32 GB||32 GB|
|MicroSD card||No||up to 128 GB||No||up to 128 GB||up to 128 GB|
|Back Camera||13 MP||16 MP||13 MP||21 MP||21 MP|
|Front Camera||8 MP||8 MP||8 MP||8 MP||5 MP|
|Battery||3500 mAh||3050 mAh||3300 mAh||3500 mAh||3630 mAh|